Thursday, January 21, 2010

Old media vs. New media

After reading a few articles on ojr.org I realized that old media and new media really are not that different. They both report on the same stories and have the same type of content. It is still just pictures and words, but how we access it is completely different. New media is much faster than old media and in many situations is even cheaper than old media. When I lived at home with my parents I used to read the paper everyday, that is when I did to start the day. Now that I live on my own I have a tighter budget. I have looked into subscriptions to different newspapers and in the end I always decide that it is more cost effective to just go online and read it. I do prefer to actually be holding what I am reading, but is it really worth the cost when you are just going to throw it out later.

One bad thing about New media is that most of the time the writer of the article is not given credit for their work. How many times have you looked up a story and found hundreds of the exact same story? When things were printed the author was more likely to be give credit than they are now. Now it is just so easy to copy and paste the article, why would you take extra time to make sure the right person got credit for it.

Although I think that Old media still has its place I think that it is eventually going to become obsolete, just like buying Cd's. I think eventually everything will switch to New media just because of the convenience.

0 comments: